Hydraulic & Sanitary Engineering
Italconsult’s experience in the water sector dates back to the 1960's. It ranges from the study and evaluation of available resources to the study, design and supervision of hydraulic structures and sanitary works, urban and rural water supply, sewerage systems and treatment plants, irrigation schemes and land reclamation, as well as studies related to pollution control and abatement of surface waters (rivers and lakes).
Projects have been carried out in various countries of the Middle East (Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Yemen (Republic), Jordan and the Gaza Strip), but also in Africa (Egypt, Kenya, Libya, Senegal, Tanzania, Togo, Tunisia and Uganda), Latin America (Argentina, Brazil, Colombia, Dominican Republic and Peru) and Asia (Myamar and Vietnam).
The following projects are the most notable:
- •The study of the water resources of the Tambolar River Basin and their utilization for beneficial use, Argentina.
- •The feasibility study for the sewerage systems in 33 towns of Rio Grande do Sul State (Brazil), and the detailed design for 13 towns.
- •The study for the pollution abatement of Rio Dos Sinos, Brazil.
- •The study, technical assistance and management services for the water supply and pollution abatement in the towns of the Pacific Coast, Colombia.
- •The study for the management and development of the water resources of the Nyando and Nzoia River Basins, Kenya.
- •The studies and design of the sewerage network systems of the seven regional capitals of Senegal, including the water treatment plant for the town of Thies.
- •The master plan of the water resources of Northern Tunisia, including water demand for domestic and irrigation purposes of the city of Tunis and its suburbs.
- •The water resources studies and the design for the water supply and sewerage network systems for the towns of Sana’a and Hodeida, Yemen.
In Italy, among the projects performed, those worth of mention are:
- •The study, design and supervision of the wastewater treatment plants of North Rome and Bari, providing also technical assistance to their management and operation;
- •The studies and design of the water supply system for the industries in the Como area;
- •The study for the pollution abatement of Lake Garda (Lombardy Region) and design of the identified measures.
Among Italconsult’s recent activities, it is worth highlighting the Investigation and Engineering Design for Treated Waste Water Reuse in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia project. Phase 1 consisted of a conceptual design of the water reuse system in all Saudi Arabia’s 217 towns and villages in the 13 regions of the Kingdom. A tailored design was provided for each town and the potential clients and areas for reuse of treated wastewater have been defined and prioritized. The assessment of the water system and wastewater treatment plants allowed the calculation of the future treated water quantity to be reused in different towns until the year 2035.
Phase 2 of the project consisted of detailed design, drawing and tender documents for the construction of the water reuse facilities recommended in Phase I for some selected towns. For phase 2, 15 Water Reuse projects have been designed for the main towns of the Kingdom, with a total estimated cost for construction of 250 million Dollars.