• Design Review
• Construction Supervision
Amat Palermo S.p.a.
• total length 18.3 Km, 44 stops
• 2 depots
• 2 steel viaducts
• 3 steel pedestrian bridges
Italconsult was assigned the Project & Construction Management services for the realization of Palermo Tramway System including the construction of three new tram-lines (totalling 18.3 Km in length), 2 depots, a new mixed-use (tram vehicles and cars) bridge, 2 viaducts, a number of elevated pedestrian crossings, the re-modelling of several central streets, and extensive urban landscaping.
The Palermo Tramway is a Light Rail Transit (LRT) system of railways, as it is used for medium-capacity local transportation in metropolitan area, having both segregated and street-running sections and higher speed sections protected and separated from local car and pedestrian traffic.
The project, with a construction cost of more than USD 360m, includes all civil works and the supply of mechanical and electrical systems, as well as the rolling stock. The Contractor is in charge of commissioning of the systems and maintaining the facilities and rolling stock for a four-year period.
The Palermo tram system consists of three independent lines with a total length of 18.3 kilometers, 2 depots, 5 terminals and 39 stops. The Tramway network is characterized by the use of an integrated Tramway Management and Control System, which provide tram management and control, security, passenger information, SCADA and OCC.
The three lines that have been executed are:
- • Line 1 Roccella: a double-rail line connecting the East area of the city with the FS Central Station, favoring the interchange with the regional train lines.
- • Line 2 Leonardo da Vinci: a double-rail line connecting the Borgo Nuovo neighborhood (North-West area of the city) with the FS Station Notarbartolo.
- • Line 3 CEP - Calatafimi: a double-rail line connecting the numerous habitations of the CEP neighborhood with the FS Station Notarbartolo and the East area of the city in the highly urbanized Calatafimi Street.
The main civil works include:
- the Einstein rail viaduct, a steel/concrete mixed structure, 32 m lenght.
- 3 steel pedestrian overpasses in Viale della Regione Siciliana, 30 m lenght.
- Bicycle and pedestrian steel bridge over Oreto river, 34 m lenght.
- Bimodal (tram vehicles and cars) steel bridge over Oreto River, 34 m lenght.
- Roccella Depot, indoor storage for 18 vehicles
- Leonardo Da Vinci Depot, indoor storage for 18 vehicles
- Sewers and utilities